Thursday, July 15, 2010

My First Altered Box

I had this idea when I set up a private swap with Masterbard on swap-bot, I had bought this tea box on sale and was going to use it for a different swap when I realised it was too small, so I put it aside saying it will be good for a swap someday, and someday came much sooner than later! After agreeing to do the private swap I saw the box and immediately wanted to start altering it to meet the preferences of my partner. So, I bought some Distress crackle paint in Vintage Photo and used my Ranger heating tool to help dry it quickly while achieving an even more cracked and antiqued appearance. (Before I painted on two coats I roughed up the box a little with a wide emery board).

After painting again I took the same emery board and went lightly around all the edges making them appear worn and smoothing then out for the gilding I wanted to add later. The pictures you see are actually watermark transfers, then I decoupaged bits of paper around them to accent. The top of the box I actually made a frame of sorts, by applying a walnut coloured handmade paper then adding decoupage glue to seal over it.

When I was finished adding all the pictures and paper bits I took my Smooch ink in Olive Twist and lightly went around the edges of the box. Then I used a large stamp with the script you see to add a bit more flair I guess you could say! Then lastly, I sprayed the box with Pearl coloured Glimmer Mist to give it that hint of sheen as the finishing touch.

I really had fun making it, then I stuffed it full with all the goodies you see here! I am happy to report that Masterbard loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment