Monday, August 16, 2010

Hollow Book Swap!






A couple of months ago, I signed up for a Hollow Book swap. The kind where the book is hollowed out and made to have a secret compartment or space to hide things in, while still looking like a book when placed on the shelf.

I have never done one before and thought it sounded most interesting, so I got out my exacto knife, looked for a tutorial and this is the result! I wanted something older, sturdy and about a subject that would be of interest to myself and my partner. I wanted the space to be a fairly decent sized one so she could put things of a somewhat medium size within the book.

It was tedious and sometimes I was not able to cut cleanly but I managed to get it pretty even. Through the cutting, gluing and trying to make sure the top pages were not sticking, it was a bit of a challenge but well worth it.

The outside I decorated plainly as to preserve the nature of the book, something that would match the spine and not look too conspicuous at first glance. The good news is I got to keep all the pages I cut out and now I have a vast supply of book pages and pictures for crafting uses!

2 comments:

  1. looks fun...I'm sure getting those pages out were hard :) I must have missed that swap...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a bit difficult but I think I learned some tricks for next time! It was fun though in the end!

    ReplyDelete